SHOULD YOU RACE FOR CHARITY?

January often sees many us frantically trawling through the calendar filling up weekends with races to complete. Some of us will do many, finally aiming for one ultimate one, and then some will just be doing one big personal challenge and no other ones. Whatever it is we all have a goal, a finish line, something to aim for and it can be the best way to keep us on with fitness targets. But is that enough? Do we need something else to keep us pushing, achieving, striving? BT MyDonate is here to help.

Have you considered doing your fitness challenge for charity? Raising some pennies for your chosen organisation could be just the incentive you need. I have only done this a few times and only for big races, but I regularly support others on their way to their own personal challenges, those who have never done a 10k run or those doing crazy ultras. One of my big ones where I did raise money was when I did my first triathlon at Blenheim, I raised money for Epilepsy Research UK as I’d only been diagnosed with epilepsy the year before.

Believe it or not if you do some sort of a fitness challenge for charity you are far more likely to keep on track, and according to a BT MyDonate survey more a quarter (28%) said they’d be likely to adhere to New Year’s Resolutions if they involved something to do with charity. With regards to my fundraising I must admit there were a few occasions I felt like giving up, I’d have an internal argument with myself because I was constantly having to self motivate. In the end I did my race, raised money and that began my love of triathlon – so I’m thankful I carried on.

I haven’t used it yet but I am really interested in fundraising for charity via BT MyDonate. It has many plus points in comparison to other online fundraising websites, but mainly because it’s a not-for-profit service. Even though it launched in 2011 and has £113m processed in donations and gift aid, it still does not charge any commission fees, subscription fees or even any registration fee. The only fees are the ones for card payments, 15p if you use a debit card or 1.3% on a credit card.  The thing I do like about this service, is the fact BT invests at least 1% of it’s corporate pre-tax profits into the community and environment each year.  BT MyDonate now has over 10,900 charities to chose from and has over 13,400 live fundraising pages, so it has clearly kept on growing since it launched. To make things easier you can actually monitor all donations with the MyDonate app, allowing you to keep spreading awareness via social channels.

Not quite sure about asking people for money? It can hard to approach people for a donation I know, but with the wonderful world of the internet you can simply just keep sharing a fundraising page.   Chose a charity that is close to your heart, the stronger bond you have with your chosen charity the more likely you will reach your challenge goal. There is even more incentive at the moment for those who create a fundraising page on MyDonate, as part of BT’s Donation Doubler campaign any that raise over £100 between 5th January and 20th January will be entered in to a prize draw. This could mean you can double the donations received on your page up to £1000 if you won!

By choosing a challenge whether it is a run, a cycle, a swim, climbing something or some sort of crazy obstacle course, whatever you decide to do by selecting a charity it will keep you focused All those people donating, not only want to help the charity but they believe in you. That itself should be motivation enough – and obviously you are doing something amazing for charity too.

Are you looking to perhaps do something fitness wise for charity this year? If so what are you thinking of doing and for who?

To find out more about fundraising and setting up your fundraising page, head over to BT MyDonate to discover what they can do.

*Post in collaboration with BT*

19 Comments

1. January 20, 2017 / 9:48 am

I'd love to do a race of some sort to raise money for charity x

2. January 20, 2017 / 11:09 am

Well done!! I have done a few things for Charity, latest being the 32.5 mile walk – The Parish Walk in the Isle of Man for cancer research! Great for the body and soul plus you help a lot of people in the process too! Well done! x

3. January 20, 2017 / 11:11 am

I find running for charity keeps me so much more motivated, same with doing things like Tough mudder 🙂

xo

4. January 20, 2017 / 2:35 pm

I think using your fitness events to raise money for charity is a wonderful idea and it sounds like BT MyDonate is a fantastic fundraising site to use. If raising money for charity keeps you motivated and more likely to stick to your fitness goals, then it is a win-win situation x

5. January 20, 2017 / 3:02 pm

These sorts of things are so good. I've done the Cancer Research shine night marathon walk the past two years, and I've also raised money for Sane doing some obstacle runs too x

6. January 20, 2017 / 3:57 pm

I think that would be fun! I just need to get in better shape first!

7. January 20, 2017 / 4:13 pm

I think charity runs can be a good thing. One run i really don't like is Race For Life. I find the whole event discriminatory and sexist. Men should be allowed to take part as cancer effects them too. CRUK say the organizers don't want men taking part, but they have no good reason for it. Imagine if there was a race for life that was ran by whites only and would only let white people run. That wouldn't be allowed and neither should CRUK's sexism. I also don't like how they have made cancer all pink and fluffy. Cancer isn't all pink and fluffy, it's all dark and horrible.

8. January 20, 2017 / 6:34 pm

What a great way to get fit and also raise money for a good cause.

9. January 20, 2017 / 10:35 pm

I love fundraising and think everyone should do it! Not sure what challenge i fancy this year yet. Really feeling indecisive just now lol x

10. January 21, 2017 / 10:32 am

I am building up to do a race for charity next year.

11. January 21, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I'm planning to swim the Solent this year for Aspire. I'm hesitating to sign up purely because of the fundraising target- I'm worried I won't meet it.

12. January 22, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Yes because when you feel like giving up you have the charity relying on you and that spurs you on

13. January 22, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I'd love to do the Race for Life again this year, it's been over 10 years since I last did it!

14. January 22, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I think it's a great way of raising money for worthwhile causes! And having an app makes it easier for people to give

15. January 23, 2017 / 8:14 pm

I have thought about running for charity but always scared of letting people down if I end up dropping out or something.

16. January 25, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I have in the past done race for life but I think I want to do something different maybe a sky dive x

17. April 23, 2017 / 6:18 pm

That's inspiring. Actually, this type of websites for fundraising really motivates people to donate and also make people realize about the importance of fundraising. best crowdfunding ideas