Does your morning start with a big cup of coffee, or is that just me? I seem to find I pretty much fuel my entire day on caffeine in some form. Especially during lockdown, my quota of coffee drunk during the day is quite alarming! It isn’t particularly healthy, as whilst coffee can pick you up it’s also quick to drop you and make you feel sluggish. I knew I needed to start thinking about other morning drink options, something that could give me that ‘glow’ I try to find in a cup of coffee… but something on the ‘better for you’ scale. Today I’ve teamed up with Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice to give you some recipes for immune boosting breakfast drinks.
Is your body craving some goodness during lockdown like mine? I saw your hand raise just then. Too much of the good bad stuff can make us feel lethargic, anxious and unhealthy. My entire body is reaching out for me to get back on my healthy wagon, and what better time to do it than in the morning? Start as you mean to go on and all that! So, let’s look at some easy options to get some goodness, and that all important Vitamin C back into your system.
Immune boosting breakfast drink recipes
The one to have with breakfast
Whilst you sit down to your breakfast enjoy your immune boosting breakfast cocktail!
Cranberry, Orange & Lemon with Honey Morning Cocktail
A recipe rich in essential vitamins and minerals that aids normal body processes and improves health. Cranberry juice and orange and lemon juice are great sources of vitamin C.
Time to prepare: 5 mins
- 175ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice
- Juice from half a lemon
- Juice from half an orange
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 175ml of water
- Pour 175ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice into a glass or jar.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon and orange juices.
- Pop in a tablespoon of runny honey to the glass.
- Add 175ml of water to your chosen glass
- Stir well and garnish with a wedge of orange or lemon.
I found this to be super refreshing. As you use half water and half cranberry juice it is super lights and zesty with the added citrus flavours. Ideal for a wake up beverage!
The one to have answering morning emails
Feel fresh with this breakfast drink option as you tackle those morning emails.
Cranberry & Apple Cider Vinegar
Time to prepare: 5 mins
- 60ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice
- 120ml of cold water
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Juices of half a lemon or lime
- Pour 60ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice into 120ml of cold water
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the glass.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon and or lime juice.
- Combine all ingredients by stirring well.
- Serve cold and garnish with a wedge of lime!
Never had Apple Cider Vinegar before but I constantly hear and read about the significant benefits it can have on our bodies.
The one post workout
Start your morning with a fresh cranberry smoothie to boost your metabolism and energy. The perfect drink to have after a workout!
Time to prepare: 10 mins
- 500ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice
- 1 peeled and sliced banana
- 1 apple, washed, cored and cut into wedges
- 75g mixed frozen berries, such as strawberry and blueberries
- Pour 500ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice into blender.
- Place the banana, apple and mixed berries into a blender and give it a whizz on high power until the smoothie’s texture becomes like velvet.
- Serve immediately!
Just done your morning yoga workout? Or taken a spin on your bike? Rewarding yourself with a delicious fruit smoothie is always the best! I like to blend this up before a workout, pop it in the fridge and have it ready afterwards. Perfect!
The one for day planning
Looking to get your day plans in place? Sit at your office desk and get those to-do lists ironed out for the day ahead, whilst of course, drinking your morning tea!
Cranberry, Ginger and Lemon Tea
Time to prepare: 10 mins
- 150ml Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice
- 1 green tea teabag
- Juice of one freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/2 inch whole ginger root, sliced
- 100ml water
- Pour 150ml of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice into a milk pan.
- Add a green tea bag, slices of fresh ginger and 100ml of water.
- Add the squeezed lemon juice to the pan.
- Infuse by gently warming on the hob for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the tea and pour into a serving mug. Garnish with a wedge of lemon.
I had started trying to take myself away from coffee first thing by having hot water with lemon. I won’t lie, it was okay, but it wasn’t exactly exciting! This was a surprise actually, especially as it has root ginger in it. Absolutely delicious – so refreshing.
Why Ocean Spray Cranberry juice? Well, cranberries are nutrient-dense and full of health benefits as they provide the antioxidant Vitamin C that supports the immune system. Plus if you fancy getting even more creative with these breakfast drinks, why not use one of Ocean Spray’s combo juices? Choice from Cranberry Classic®, Cranberry & Strawberry, Cranberry & Lime, Cranberry & Apple, Cranberry & Raspberry, Cranberry & Blackcurrant, Cranberry & Blueberry and Cranberry & Pomegranate.
Switching to healthy immune boosting
One thing I will say about these four immune boosting breakfast drinks is, that they are very light! None are heavy and all have very complimentary ingredients. I’m thoroughly enjoying starting my day with something other than coffee or tea! Have you been the same as me and been drinking far too much coffee first thing? Why not have a go at one of the super easy recipes above.
*Post in collaboration with Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice